Thursday, March 21, 2013

Whole 30, with kids, day 13 "Breakthrough!"

I actually had to look up what day it was on our 30 day journey today. It's been almost 2 weeks which seems like, now, to have flown by. The first week or so was rough. I was not only counting days.... but hours it seemed.

 This weekend is the "dreaded" mini family reunion. Please understand that I can't WAIT to see all the family, even if it's only for 24 hours with lots of driving---- it's the meals that I'm dreading.  It's easy to be weird with your meals (yes I still call it weird) at home, or in your office cube for lunch, but it is a whole other story to do it away from home- with a group of other people.  That being said, my in-laws are vegetarian and my mother-in-law is gluten free.... so they understand to a degree not eating certain things that others eat. It's just hard when your training your kids that way and there are other kids around that don't eat that way... Thankfully my brother/sister (in-laws) just visited us yesterday for dinner and had some yummy food. They are very sweet and supportive, so thank you C&C!

It's hard to want to go to a big reunion where it will be hard to stick to the plan, especially when you've had such a breakthrough!



















My 2 year old has official turned a corner. He eats eggs for breakfast, and asks for more. He eats lunch meat, veggies, and fruit for lunch, and asks for more. He has learned to eat what we put on his plate, even if it's not his favorite and then he'll get strawberries or other fruit.  And the fruit tastes sooo sweet now! It always tasted good, but now it tastes as though eat fruit is sprinkled with sugar, because our taste buds have changed.

I accidentally had regular ketchup the other night and I was like "WOW! That tastes like pure sugar." Well, in the past it never would have fazed me. It tasted normal, but now it was so sugary.  I looked and it had 4 grams of sugar per tablespoon! That is 4 packets of sugar in each tablespoon.... ouch! No wonder I have cavities and kids are bouncing off the walls after hotdogs, fries and ketchup.














But more on my breakthrough. Today my 2 year old had a full, normal day of eating. He even ate 2 full sized carrots after dinner because he was still hungry and when I offered him a carrot instead of an apple or more fruit his response? "YEAH!" that makes all this worth it! I think it has been at least 2 days since we have heard "Goldfish" or "Cheeze its" or "Yuck".

My husband says he sees a small difference in our constant motion child, but if it's there, it's a small change.  We still have 17 days to go.... so I hope I see a big enough difference.

My 6 year old is loving her lunches of lunch meat, veggies, applesauce, pecans, etc.  In fact tonight, I made a crock pot dinner that was super easy and everyone ate it. My daughter had 2 helpings! It was boneless chicken thighs (~6), sweet potatoes cut in large chunks (4), 1 carton of mushrooms, 1/2 a yellow onion, 1 cup chicken broth, rosemary, garlic, salt, 2 t white wine vinegar and 5 hours later---- voila a wonderful dinner.  It did seem to need a bit more seasoning and if I were home all day and able to watch it I might add the sweet potatoes 1/2 way through cooking rather than at the beginning as they turned pretty mushy, but were still good.

Overall I feel better, have more energy, eat less naturally- not trying to starve myself, and feel great.  Let's see how the next 2 weeks go.

Cabin- here we come (on Saturday that is.....)











No comments:

Post a Comment