Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Whole30, day 4, with kids and the sugar dragon

Today has been a hard day. We have 2 sick kids so my husband and I didn't get much sleep last night. My 2 year old is still fighting a lot and very hungry and grumpy. My 4 year old is a rock star and eating pretty much what we put in front of him. My 6 year old is sick and grumpy, but she has eaten pretty well today.

My husband and I have both stuck to the plan so far.  It's hard to keep our fluids in us though drinking only water.  We are used to drinking sugar free iced tea, or crystal light- so are the kids. That stuff is really not good for you and kind of outweighs the benefit of drinking the water. So we finally let the kids have apple juice to ensure they are drinking enough. 1/3 apple juice to 2/3 water though.  We are being adults and drinking our water.

My head really hurts today. It must be the lack of caffeine and sugar. Not fun. I'm a grump today. Thankfully my husband is being a rock star and helping out a lot.

We will continue this and are already trying to think of ways to make it easier for a family with little kids to do Whole30 with 2 full time working parents. Anyone that has written otherwise that this is easy with kids or that there are tons that thier kids eat is full of it!

Meals that the kids loved today:
Almond flour pancakes with applesauce
Homemade meatloaf with homemade ketchup
Chicken with homemade ranch dressing
Pumpkin muffins they call "cupcakes" that aren't sweet at all. I think they just miss bread.

There HAS to be some whole30 approved pre-made ketchup, ranch, etc.  We just don't have the time to just keep making this stuff over and over each week on top of all the meals.

I'm going to stick this out. I'm 10% done. We still have a fridge full of veggies and meat to be made, but I am tired. I am tired of cooking so much and not eating sugar. I would imagine that my sugar dragon comes in the form of cute cupcakes. Hard to ignore. Cute. Yummy.......

No comments:

Post a Comment